Generation / Wholesale
Luminant (Generation / Wholesale)
Total: 1,548 MW
Listing by Fuel Type:
Gas: 4 facilities @ 1,548 (MW net capacity)
Key Third Party Organizations
- Associated Industries of Massachusetts
- New England Power Generators Association (NEPGA)
- Massachusetts Business Roundtable (BRT)
Vistra Assets in State
Facilities Map (click to enlarge):
|Bellingham||Bellingham||Gas (CCGT)||566||8th Worchester||Worcester & Norfolk||4||ISO-NE|
|Bellingham NEA||Bellingham||Gas (CCGT)||157||8th Worchester||Worcester & Norfolk||4||ISO-NE|
|Blackstone||Blackstone||Gas (CCGT)||544||8th Worchester||Worcester & Norfolk||2||ISO-NE|
|MASSPOWER||Indian Orchard||Gas (CCGT)||281||14th Norfolk||Hampden||1||ISO-NE|
Competition Enabler & key statute(s):
- Legislative – Electric Industry Restructuring Act, 1997
- Statute(s) – General Laws, Part I: Administration of the Government, Title XXII: Corporations, Chapter 164: Manufacture and Sale of Gas and Electricity
- Utility Regulations – 220 CMR 11.00 Rules Governing the Restructuring of the Electric Industry
- Eversource Energy East (NSTAR Electric Company);
- Eversource Energy West (Western Massachusetts Electric Company);
- National Grid (Massachusetts Electric Company and Nantucket Electric Company);
- Unitil (Fitchburg Gas & Electric Light Company).
There are a total of 340 registered suppliers serving the competitive retail electricity market in Massachusetts. Eighty-one (81) are licensed as Competitive Suppliers and 259 are registered as Electric Brokers. Suppliers and Brokers, along with other suppliers / services, are defined as:
- Competitive Supplier means an entity licensed by the Department to sell electricity and related services to Retail Customers, with the following exceptions:
(a) a Distribution Company providing Standard Offer Generation Service and Default/Basic Generation Service to its Distribution Customers; and
(b) a municipal light department that is acting as a Distribution Company.
- Electricity Broker means an entity, including but not limited to an Aggregator, that facilitates or otherwise arranges for the purchase and sale of electricity and related services to Retail Customers, but does not sell electricity. Public Aggregators shall not be considered Electricity Brokers
- Default Generation Service means the service provided by the Distribution Company to a Customer who is not receiving either Generation Service from a Competitive Supplier or Standard Offer Generation Service, in accordance with 220 CMR 11.04(9)(c) and the provisions set forth in the Distribution Company’s Default Generation Service tariff on file with the Department. Default Generation Service is also known as Basic Service or Default/Basic Generation Service.
- Public Aggregator means a municipality or group of municipalities that groups interested electricity consumers within its municipal boundaries to facilitate or otherwise arrange the purchase and sale of electricity pursuant to M.G.L. c. 164, § 134.
- Standard Offer Generation Service means the service provided by the Distribution Company until March 1, 2005, in accordance with 220 CMR 11.04(9)(b) and the provisions set forth in the Distribution Company’s Standard Offer Generation Service tariff on file with the Department.
The following provides a break out by customer class of competitive suppliers licensed with the Mass. Department of Public Utilities:
|ELECTRIC BROKERS LICENSE||63||259||222||544|
* Totals may be greater than total number of suppliers in market due to a single supplier licensed to serve multiple customer classes.